When you compare them with other battery technologies that can be used in mobiles, the lithium batteries are comparatively better and most optimum choice.It charge faster, last longer, and have a higher power density for more battery life in a lighter package.Following feature that outcasts Li batteries from others to be used in mobile phones are :
1. Stores More Power
- A lithium-ion battery has the ability to store up to 150 watt-hours of electricity into 1 kilogram of battery. This is much more than the nickel-metal hydride battery, or any other kind of battery technology can store. While the nickel-metal battery stores about 60 to 70 watt-hours per kilogram, a lead-acid battery (which you can find in cars) can only store only 25 watt-hours per kilogram.
- Lithium is a highly reactive element, which makes it possible to store a lot of energy in its atomic bonds.Thus, they have high energy density
2. Lighter Batteries
- Though not the lightest, lithium-ion batteries are generally much lighter than most types of batteries of the same capability.
- Mobile manufacturer’s prefer them because they make smartphones very light.
- The electrodes of a Li-Ion battery are made of lightweight lithium and carbon which makes the batteries very light.
Besides the unidirectional dc-dc converters, Bidirectional Converter Topologies are also being used. When the EV driver switched into braking mode the batteries are charged by electric motor owing to bidirectional structure of converter. Therefore, the bidirectional dc-dc converter will be the ke
y device in EVs.
3. Makes Charging Easier and faster
- The Lithium-ion battery makes charging a device easier. There’s no need to wait for it to discharge from 100% before recharging, your device could remain plugged to electricity for a long period without side effects. It does not have a problem of memory effect.
- Li-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles and still maintain the same long-lasting quality.
- The chemical reactions inside lithium-ion batteries are more comfortable with shorter charges and discharges, rather than being drained all the way down and then topped all the way up
4. Low Maintenance Cost & Low Discharge Rate
- Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery. When disposed of, the battery cells cause little or no harm.It does not have a problem of memory effect.
- Also, the self-discharge for lithium-ion batteries is less than half compared to nickel-cadmium, making Li-ion batteries perfect for devices – its discharge rate is just 5% in the first four hours after being charged fully. But the discharge rate falls to around 2% per month.
Two types of Lithium batteries are generally used in today’s mobiles phones:
1. Lithium ion Batteries
2. Lithium Polymer Batteries
Lithium ion battery uses liquid lithium ion as electrolyte while Lithium Polymer battery uses a dry solid, porous chemical or gelatin like polymers as electrolyte, rather than liquid.
- Lithium ion Batteries have a greater energy capacity than Lithium Polymer batteries, so in devices that have higher current requirements, Lithium Ion batteries are preferred.They are also preferred when cost reduction is the objective as they are cheaper compared to Lithium polymer battery.
- Lithium Polymer Batteries are preferred where ultra lightweight and compact size is the preference. They are also preferred where improved safety is required.